hippiedaizy

P.D. Singer
Xylophone
K.Z. Snow
Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Four
With Caution (With or Without Series, #3)
J.L. Langley

The Sound of Your Voice

The Sound of Your Voice - David  Sullivan "Stand up for what you believe in-even if it means standing alone."

Wow. Powerful story! I've read a lot of disability books and a couple about deafness, but those didn't compare with this one. I will remember this for a long time, if not forever.

Us hearing folks take so much for granted. Someone knocking on the door, ringing a doorbell, answering a phone--TTY!, communicating in a room full of hearing people, etc.

I am pretty political and go to protests/demonstrations that I am passionate about, so seeing John attend these were great for me. I enjoyed the realism of them (or how they were back in the day). John getting tossed in jail for doing nothing other than getting shoved, well that's classic. But, I think if he looks back at that day he'll say it was the best day of his life, because if it wasn't for that AIDS march he would not have met Steve.

Steve is the son of a volunteer at TEDI where John is sent for his community service. Vivian feels like John and Steve should meet because they would have a lot in common. They agree to meet and you know what they say "the rest is history".

I loved the actual romance in this. Subtle touches, haircuts, communication without words (or signs), etc. So beautiful.

The bigotry and judgmental people in this made me so sad. Steve's dad made me cry for a number of reasons and I am not sure how his mother could tolerate him. How could she sit there while he talked to his son like that?

Mack, I am not sure what I thought about him. At first I thought he was going to be a dick to Steve, but then they were talking about books and it was fine. I still think he's a douche though ;)

Couple things what ever happened in the trial? What job does John do now? I would have liked to have seen their lives when they were living together. What was John's reaction to the house? Oh and speaking of the house, I HATED the prologue. Why couldn't that have been in the Epi?

Overall, amazing story. It'll make you think and hopefully it'll make you angry (but in a good way!)
"One man with courage makes a majority." ~Andrew Jackson