hippiedaizy

P.D. Singer
Xylophone
K.Z. Snow
Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Four
With Caution (With or Without Series, #3)
J.L. Langley
The Boots My Mother Gave Me - Brooklyn James I think I am going to have to say that I can't rate this...right now. Parts of me says 3 star and other parts are screaming 5. I have no idea if this is a true story turned fiction or not, but it sure felt like that to me. I don't know if I feel comfortable putting a star rating on that. I might change my mind though. So, if you see the stars filled in you know my heart caught up to my head.

First can I say that the mother pissed me off. Your kids are in danger...GET OUT! Seriously. No if's, and's, or but's about it. GET OUT! I don't care if you are poor and have no where to go, you get the eff out of the abusive home and find a shelter. Yes, I know it's easier said than done, but it's not your life anymore...you have to think of those kids. THEY are what matter now. So, right off of the bat I wanted to strangle Harley's mom. Especially at the court house. Nope, adios. See ya. I would have cut them all out right then and there.

Now, the dad. Piece of shit. Feels good beating on women and children, huh? I have no idea why Harley kept going back--even after you kicked her out. Yeah, sure, he's her dad, but he didn't care about her why the hell should she give him the time of day? Because she's blood? Family? Sorry, but that's not a good enough reason for me. Again, easier said than done, but get some common sense Harley. Seriously. You were just trying to get him to love you after all that he did to you? Why? I don't understand. Why waste your breath after everything he did? Why do you want to forget what he did? To only remember the good times? NO! Remember what he did, get out of the situation and move on and learn from it. Don't put yourself in that situation again.

Kat, you should have learned from your mother's mistakes. WHY would you go through that? What would you want that for your life...AGAIN?! You pissed me off so much, but I couldn't fault you. Because, you did finally see the light.

Harley, I have no idea what to say except you ran too long. I wished you would have gotten wise a little sooner. Imagine all those years you spent running when you could have been spending them with your Miah. Here's where I fall into this, yes me personally, I ran. I traveled all over and wanted to experience life like no one from my small town has done. I wanted to be the "free spirit" that everyone claimed me to be. So I did. I was lonely. Oh so lonely. Turns out, I really did want to sprout roots somewhere, but I was too scared to admit it. So Harley, I understand your sense of freedom, but there comes a time when you have to stop running and accept the truth head on. It should have happened to you a hell of a lot sooner than it did, but I am just happy it did at all. Your Gram said it best and I was hoping you'd listen to her, but you got scared and did what you did best...run.

Jeremiah, you are a saint. Truly. There are no other words. You knew Harley would find her way back to you and you waited...and waited...and waited. For that, you are an incredible man. You were always there for Harley from the time you were 4 years old. When you showed up on the page I knew all was right in the world...at least until Harley freaked out and ran again. I kept waiting for Harley to come to you. I cried...BAWLED when Xander came in the picture. I BAWLED the first time Tate and Cassidy came on the page. Miah, I heart you! There just aren't any other words. Saint, perfection, incredible, patient, loving, loyal they all equal love. You are it.

In this book there are so many inspirational quotes, I think I highlighted something from each chapter. For me though, it's the fine line between the abuse and loyalty. I can't get over that. I can't wrap my head around why after you were abused--whether it be verbal, physical, or sexual-- would you ever want to go back to your abuser? Why would want their approval? Who says that because they are your blood you are supposed to love them?

"Within each of us, there lies the innate ability to survive, triumph, and overcome rewriting the scripts of our own lives, having some power over our fate and the fate of generations to come. Nothing has to be just because that's the way it's always been."